Monday, July 24, 2017

Choose your words wisely

Words can be weapons - this is an oft encountered message for me, in varying forms and phrases. After all they're just sounds. How can they be so powerful? Even if they have some impact, can't the impact be reversed?

I try to come up with some concrete example of this. Let us say a couple adopts a child from its infancy. The child grows with them as their own child for all practical purposes. Then one day, when the child is 16, in a fit of rage, the father calls him an "orphan".

What is the impact of this statement? Perhaps, the right thing for the child to do will be to fall at the feet of his ex-parents as a token of gratitude for bringing him up all these years and then move on out and away from their lives.

Is there an undo for this action? Thankfully, Bollywood has always been one up on dramatic situations like this. To see a dramatic enactment of this scene, watch KKKG (Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gum).

In this particular case, that one word setup an exclusion. Someone who was part of the family was ousted in a jiffy. Words are indeed powerful.

I know I am speaking in metaphors. This is a pointer to something I am currently going through myself, but on a subtler level. What it is isn't really necessary to say. My intent was to jot this as a pointer on my timeline.

Ironically, I am fine. 20 years ago, perhaps I would have been devastated. By fine, I do not mean fine the way Ross Geller was. I am really fine. Sad but fine. Sad because I couldn't have envisioned this happening in any shape or form.

As Murphy says, if something can go wrong, it will go wrong. Or as James Clear says, entropy is the existential law. Go figure!

Note: If you know me personally, don't second guess the incident. You will most likely be incorrect. If you don't know me, the title of this post is the message. My personal reference can be an interesting anecdotal reference.

No comments:

Web Analytics